Feasibilty Study – CCS-cluster at Øra and regionally Phase 1
Project owner: Borg CO2 AS
05/19 – 06/21
Background and project purpose?
The background for the "CCS cluster clustering study in Øra" and regionally is the idea study (conducted in 2017/2018) which concluded with a considerable interest and potential for establishing CCUS (carbon capture, use and storage) on the Øra industrial cluster and in the Østfold region.
The purpose of the project is to document, develop, assess and plan a basis for testing technology and new solutions / value chains through later pilot scale/demonstration scale plants (phase 2).
What is the project objective?
The aim of the project is to develop cost-effective CCS and CCUS in a well-established industrial cluster, with good infrastructure and good port conditions. CCS clusters will form the basis for establishing carbon capture from emissions from regional Waste to Energy and process industries, where the competence can next be transferred to other regions in Norway and internationally.
What will the project do in terms of activities?
• document the quantity and quality of the relevant flue gas sources
• document business model, potential synergies and opportunities for business development and jobs in the region
• document v / LCA environmental and resource efficiency of CO2 capture and storage
• map criteria and basis for the choice of capture technology
• map criteria for supplier selection for potential production and logistics of LCO2.
• conduct an idea study for the development of a logistics hub at Borg Harbor
• map and assess market potential and for sustainable use of CO2 in the region (CCU) within current ESA / state aid regulations
• plan for future piloting - feasibility study phase-2
Feasibility study phase-2, pilot scale plant, demonstration plant.
Further use of the demonstration plant as part of a full-scale industrial cluster for CCUS in the region.
Partners: Borg Havn IKS, FREVAR KF, Østfoldforskning, Fortum Oslo Varme, Equinor, Stormkast Utvikling, Compact Carbon Capture, Norske Skog Saugbrugs, Borregaard, Acinor, Geminor, IFE, EGE, Kvitebjørn Bio-El, Østfold Energi, Biobe, Sarpsborg Avfallsenergi and CO2 Capsol.